anybody writing new programs?

anybody writing new programs?

Postby felixer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:31 am

got a microdec off ebay and i love it! sounds great without nasty clicks/noise that plague so many other experimental boxes. 'revers with fade' is very nice. also use the 'up down sweep'. some of the more standard programs i don't really need as i can get that from other boxes/modules too. if anybody is writing programs along the lines of 'chaotic but clean' i'd be happy to buy them ... i do have some ideas, but i can't code ...
felixer

Re: anybody writing new programs?

Postby guest » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:57 am

i havent seen any new programs lately, but i am working on a few for the codecshield, and they should be portable to the microdec. also, if you want to share your ideas, someone might be able to help you implement them.
Site Admin

Postby felixer » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:05 am

well, i'm still trying to prevent having to learn how to do this myself ;-) i've read up on arduino etc and it seems easy enough. once you get the hang of it ... but those first few weeks ...

some program ideas:
- pitchshifter with built in random/lfo. mod1=speed (up to say 20Hz), mod2= depth (+-1semitone up to +-12 semitones. doing this right now with beatstep+spx combi and it's a really nice effect, sort of a pitch-cloud around the notes). sort fade in/outs to prevent clicks.
- delay with built in random/lfo to change bufferlenght (and hence delaytime but not pitch). should be clickfree if the endpoint doesn't cross the write/read position. impossible with an extrnal lfo.
- generally more adventurous waveforms for the lfo in the eg flanger/chorus programs. gaussian random/drunk walk is easy to implement in digital. not so easy in analog. or keep the triangle wave but eg change direction on input peaks. since mod1 can be interfaced with analog i would concentrate on things that exploit the cpu/memory.
- program where you can change the playback speed (as in the sampler) but acting on continues/incoming audio. with the technique of using quick fades this could be clickfree too?
- shuffler/beatslicer type thing where the memory gets chopped in slices and reordered. with carefull crossfades this could succeed where many granulators fail. eg the microgranny http://www.bastl-instruments.com/instru ... crogranny/ has some neat ideas, but it's 8bit on live audio and clicks like a mofo ... mod1 could be 'number of slices', mod2: cross-(or in/out if that's easier) fade time.

is all this possible or am i asking for miracles? i know, typical 'featuritis' ;-)
felixer

Postby guest » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:21 am

those all seem reasonable. ill post back if i start on any of them. and if you happen to pick up an arduino and get your feet wet, feel free to let us know how it goes.
Site Admin

Postby felixer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:53 pm

any particular (microdec compatible) arduino starterset you would recommend?
felixer

Postby guest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:55 am

if you get an arduino and a codecshield it will be almost identical to the microdec (except without all the memory).
Site Admin

Postby guest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:58 am

also, to program the microdec, you need an FTDI cable (USB->Serial). although i feel bad about suggesting more things to buy. you could just program the microdec, and skip the arduino, but im betting you would feel more comfortable with another device that you can mess up if you want.
Site Admin

Postby felixer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:56 pm

better to start with some standard stuff first, methinks. could do with a lil' random generator for midicontrollers so that might be a first goal ... there's also this plan for an automated matrixmixer with motorpots ...
your code seems assembler? is that essential to get those programs happening?
felixer

Postby guest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:28 pm

no, assembler is not required. if you pick up an arduino, you can start making bleeps and bloops with it pretty quickly, all writing in the arduino language (which is really just a wrapper for C/C++). one of the things that arduino is short on is processing time. there are some faster multiply libraries that are included in the microdec arduino library that help with this. and there are plenty of other tricks to speed things up without having to resort to assembler.
Site Admin

Postby felixer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:37 pm

allright, thanks for the tips!
felixer

Return to Software