Love the idea, want one, can't buy one :-(

Love the idea, want one, can't buy one :-(

Postby Des » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:35 am

Hi Guys,

I SO want to buy one of these! I filled by basket with all the things I wanted and then asked for a shipping estimate, I entered my details and my delivery "Postcode" 'cos it's going to the UK, the screen flashed, the shipping estimate was empty BUT I had 2 basic kits in basket. I tried again and got 3 kits :-(

I decided to worry about the shipping at checkout and after updating the quantities clicked on the Pay with Paypal button. I logged into my Paypal account and, as this is a gift, added my new delivery details to Paypal, this was done sucessfully. I clicked continue and in a flash was back on your site being asked for delivery details ... There was an option below the address form with the new address but above the intended recipient was my name, so I filled out the form, clicked continue and was informed that (I think it was) UPS was the only shipping option, OK so lets go guys, gimme, gimme, gimme ;-) So I clicked "continue" and presto was, er, back at step 2 of 3, click again and presto was, er, back at step 2 of 3, click again and presto was, er, back at step 2 of 3, click again and so on and so on ...

I looked around and found this forum and right there was someone else saying they couldn't buy and if anyone else has the same problem to let you know, so here I am!

Btw, the process for getting into the forum nearly stopped me bothering :-( but more importantly that wouldv'e stopped me telling you my problems and therefore stopped me buying the product ...

Some constructive feedback:

Why do I have to type my email address twice? I bet EVERONE copies and pastes their email and as you don't block me doing it you just wastes my time but the real killer is that damm captcha thing :-( it took me *3* goes to get past it! I understand you don't want bots flooding your site or search engines stuffing things up but guess what? they can't read!! Why not just have a simple question like "Please enter the day of the week that follows Monday?" or "What product is made by joining these two words together - Micro and DEC?" and spare everyone the pain of Captcha smugness - Seriously, I so nearly walked ...

So please guys can we have a store that works so we can buy your FAB products? and a forum that doesn't drive ppl away?

Thanks for reading,

Des
Des

Re: Love the idea, want one, can't buy one :-(

Postby mcanulty » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:41 pm

Looking into it now! Using Zen Cart has been a strange journey, it seems to work fine for some people and then cause nightmares for others. I'll drop you a mail personally soon as I figure out what's going on. Part of the issue is that international shipping is going to be set up later today so it's breaking things a bit.
mcanulty
Site Admin

Postby mcanulty » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:47 pm

International shipping estimations for USPS are now ready, and that should fix the shopping cart errors for international customers. You should have received a separate email from me as well, let me know if it causes you any more problems!
mcanulty
Site Admin

Postby Des » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:03 am

Hi again,

I logged into my cart again and asked for a "Shipping Estimate" to the UK and it gives me a screen showing my delivery address but the rate is blank ... have a go yourself and see what it says, I'd be interested to know what you find. Sadly, I'm not comfortable going through the checkout process until I know how much shipping will be, not that I don't trust you, but with the type of teething issues you're experiancing I may find that I've committed to a purchase before knowing the full cost.

Also, not to be a pain but I logged into the "Store" using my Paypal username & the password that was emailed to me and then when I needed to post this comment I had to login again, this time to the forum using the email address I supplied when registering & the password I supplied :-/ just one logon would be great ...

Cheers

Des
Des

Postby mcanulty » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:00 pm

I totally understand your hesitancy to order before knowing the shipping cost. I tried the address you entered in a test customer and the shipping estimate worked fine. Could you mail me at mcanulty@openmusiclabs.com with a description of what browser you're using, and a run-through of the selections you make and what happens? My current theory is that maybe it's a browser issue, but I'd like to figure out the issue and help you get the order placed.

Incidentally the shipping estimates I get for shipping the basic kit to the UK range from $7.64 for First Class International to $44 for Global Express (1-3 day).

In the future I might go ahead and integrate the forum and the shopping cart, but for now it is much more secure to keep them separate. I changed the CAPTCHA program to something that will hopefully be more user-friendly. If that causes people problems too I'll try out a question and answer based one.
mcanulty
Site Admin

Return to MICrODEC General Discussion