[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Open Music Labs Forums • View topic - midivamp1 pitch control

midivamp1 pitch control

midivamp1 pitch control

Postby j.baars » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:16 pm

hello,
i would like to add a external pitch control, like a pot.

can that be done?

best,
J.Baars
j.baars

Re: midivamp1 pitch control

Postby guest » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:35 pm

the pitch is set from the onboard oscillator, which also does the MIDI communication, so you can not change the oscillator without it messing up the MIDI. there are 2 other options: 1. send MIDI CC messages to do a frequency sweep, and then another one to turn frquency sweep off. this will pitch it down a bit, but only after note release, so its not a great option. 2. hack the code to add that MIDI CC control, or to read an analog pin and set the value based on that.

if you are interested in exploring option 2, i can give pointers. you will need an ISP programmer (i hear an arduino can be hacked to do this).
Site Admin

Postby j.baars » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:35 pm

well, i am very interested in option 2..

I would like to change the pitch with an external potentiometer.
I do know assembler coding, but that is rather rusty right now, it is probably some 30 jears ago i did my last assembler coding.
so some help here would be very much appreaciated...

best regards, Jeroen Baars
j.baars

Postby guest » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:03 pm

ok, i can give pointers to get things going. probably the first thing to do would be to get a toolchain setup, and make sure you can change the code. luckily the ADC pins are broken out to the midi channel tabs, so you can attach there, which will be a lot easier than trying to solder directly to the IC. that potentially gives you 4 controllers you can add.
Site Admin

Postby j.baars » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:31 pm

ok, i do have avr studio, and lets say i will put the potentiometer to the adc3 input ( midi select8)
( i can add more potentiometers later, if i want to change more things)

best regards,
Jeroen Baars
j.baars

Postby guest » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 pm

do you have an AVR ISP programmer?

go here
http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/MidiVamp1
and download the avr studio project. i used avrstudio 4.13, so hopefully whatever they have these days is backwards compatible. load up the project and see if it compiles.
Site Admin

Postby j.baars » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:42 am

yeps, i do have a programmer, and avr studio4 up and running .
it compiles perfectly.

best regards,
Jeroen Baars
j.baars

Postby pianokeyjoe » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:18 am

So from the answers here,I would not be able to pitch up or down each of the 8 midi vampire 1 modules I want to buy so I can make a very thick fat analog synth with detuned osc(x 8)?Or is the limitation only for physical pitch control OUTSIDE midi control CCs?
pianokeyjoe

Postby guest » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Site Admin

Postby guest » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Site Admin

Next

Return to MIDIvampire