New to the mixtape & confused about files !!

New to the mixtape & confused about files !!

Postby Bloxelectric » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Hello there. I have ordered a mixtape alpha & so i'm looking around at the documents but they are confusing me as in, What the heck ? How do i understand those ?
I don't regularly hack electronics so i guess there's one obvious reason i don't recognize the file types but if anyone could give me a leg-up...It does look alien to me.
I like the idea of the wave table thing & creating new sounds. There are no images of the rear of the unit though & info about the unit seems very limited around the web.
It's no big deal really. I ordered the synth because it looks like good fun & that's enough really but it is designed to be hacked right ?
Anyway, thanks.
Bloxelectric

Re: New to the mixtape & confused about files !!

Postby guest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:37 pm

there is an ISP header on the back, which can be used to reprogram the synth. you will need and ISP programmer to do that. have you done any AVR programming before?
Site Admin

Postby Bloxelectric » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:34 am

Hello Guest. Thanks for replying. Err ! No. Have not done any of that kind of thing....Maybe i'm gonna have to learn something !
Had a look at a selection of isp programmers on ebay....Well, it's a start ! I'm guessing it will be one of the slimline models with a usb at one end.
EDIT...Been watching some arduino tutorial stuff so i'm getting the idea. The Mixtape alpha then is only hackable via this method right ? No physical patching or bending i assume.
Bloxelectric

Postby guest » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 am

the mixtape is entirely digital for sound generation, but has buttons and slider, which could be hacked in a physical fashion. feeding the output back into the slider might be interesting, maybe through a large resistor. otherwise the programming stuff isnt too difficult. if you have a windows computer, AVRstudio is pretty easy to use. you will want to solder a header to the ISP pads on the back, though, as connecting and disconnecting will get frustrating elsewise.
Site Admin

Postby Bloxelectric » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for your comms. I'll start with the unit as is. That's what attracted me initially, then i'll do some homework on the hacking side of things.
Might be a good winter project for me, i'm quite busy over the summer here but have more spare time when the cold hits.
If i decide to go down that hacking road there's every chance i'll end up back here at some point.
An interesting occurrence really, set out to buy an extra tone generator to add to my set up & end up possibly becoming a programmer ! Time to wake up my brain cell !
Bloxelectric

Return to Mixtape Alpha