Connecting the heads without disassembling your walkman.

Connecting the heads without disassembling your walkman.

Postby Paleorama » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Here's a quick, or maybe just a less destructive, way of connecting the heads from your floppy hack to a cassette tape player/walkman. It involves this novelty, which I just bought for my car, which only has an old auto-radio with a tape player in it, which lets you connect any sound signal source through a jack cable.

...and of course, I couldn't help but think of the current FDD hack I'm constantly having in my head, driving me mad.

A cassette adapter is shaped like a cassette tape. However, instead of having reels of tape inside, it has a transmitting head where the tape is normally read by the reading head. This transmitting head is connected to the input cord, which connects the head to the portable device.

- source: wikipedia

Could be interesting to see if it's possible just to connect the heads (of the FDD) directly to this cable. I'm not willing to sacrifice my own. It'll go straight into my car. :)

Cheers!
Paleorama

Re: Connecting the heads without disassembling your walkman.

Postby mitcho » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:45 am

I think this adapter expects a line input. It's meant to be connected to the phones output of mp3 players or portable CD players. This won't work like connecting the diskette's heads directly to the tape-head's preamp.
mitcho

Postby Paleorama » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:29 am

Okay, guess I was to eager in the late hours to post this then :)
Thanks for clearing that up!
Paleorama

Postby hello_kitty » Mon May 12, 2014 4:18 am

Yes, you're right.
hello_kitty

Return to Floppy Audio Project